The Stewart Island/ Rakiura Community and Environment Trust (SIRCET), is a non-profit organisation formed in 2002 by a group of Stewart Islanders enthusiastic about protecting and enhancing the environment and community of Stewart Island. The Trust instigates and promotes local projects that support these goals.
Our mission is “to pursue projects that will enhance both our environment and our community”.
SIRCET believes in:
- Community involvement and community initiatives.
- The innate value of the environment.
- Environmental sustainability.
- That the environment is important for the Stewart Island community and Stewart Island lifestyle.
- That conservation measures are important for the community’s economy.
- Evidenced based conservation.
- Working as a team with honesty and integrity.