Our vision is “Saddleback/Tῑeke in our back yards”.
Our aims for the future include:
- Successfully establishing a breeding population of Saddleback/Tῑeke in the Halfmoon Bay Habitat Restoration Project area.
- Rats are identified as a key predator for Saddleback/Tῑeke so before we reintroduce this species we must be able to reliably control rats to a low level. South Island Saddleback have not been present on mainland Stewart Island for many years but have been successfully reintroduced on offshore islands of Stewart Island/Rakiura.
- Increased fledging success for the Acker’s Point population of Sooty Shearwater/Tῑtῑ. This is the most accessible mainland NZ population of an iconic/taonga species.
- Little Blue Penguin/Kororā population in the Project area is protected from predation and increases.
- Weeds are identified and controlled within the Project area.